A prominent landmark in the centre of Newcastle Upon Tyne built to commemorate Charles Earl Grey and the reforms he made as Prime Minister.
- Grey’s monument is named after Charles Grey, the second Earl Grey, who was Prime Minister of Britain from 1830-1834.
- The monument is a statue of Earl Grey sitting on top of a 130 foot (40 metre) high column.
- Grey’s monument was officially opened in 1838, but the Earl Grey declined an invitation to attend.
- ‘Monument’ metro station is named after Greys’ monument which is above the metro station.
- Charles Earl Grey’s government passed the Great Reform Act of 1832, which made major changes to the electoral (voting) system.
- A flavoured tea was named after Earl Grey. It is believed that he was he was given a gift of tea blended with Bergamot oil from China.
- In 1941 (during World War II), the head of Grey’s statue fell off after being struck by lightning.
- It is said that a local shop keeper displayed the fallen head in the shop window and stated that the deals were so good that even Earl Grey popped in!
- On certain days, Grey’s monument is open to the public, where you can climb 163 stone steps to get to the viewing platform at the top.
- Grey Street in Newcastle city centre was originally called upper Dean Street, but had its name changed in honour of Earl Grey.
Then and now
Find more images of the Grey;s Monument on the Co-Curate website.